Saturday, April 4, 2009

Still worried: small legislative changes have large effects.

I was "talking" with a friend over on Live Journal about HR 875, and basically referring him to what I wrote here, and I found that I needed to explain myself. Here is what I wrote to him.

I try not to be an idiot or a crazy about such things, but small legislative changes have large effects.

I have a gut-level sense that the agricultural chemical additive industries are quite worried. What is needed, however, is a link between some commonly used fertilizer or herbicide/pesticide and a common cancer, or some mental problem like ADHD, autism or Alzheimer's. I mention these, because the there are suspected links, but none proven.


The idea that people who are concerned about legislation are "crazies" or "idiots" becomes part of a meme, (as www.answers.com dictionary states it) a unit of cultural information, such as a cultural practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another. It grew out of another word mimesis, which has three meanings according my source:
n.

1. The imitation or representation of aspects of the sensible world, especially human actions, in literature and art.
2. Biology. Mimicry.
3. Medicine. The appearance, often caused by hysteria, of symptoms of a disease not actually present.

[Greek mīmēsis, from mīmeisthai, to imitate, from mīmos, imitator, mime.]


However, search on "lawsuits against monsanto" and the result is horrifyinng. Here is just one link the Organic Consumers Union Millions Against Monsanto Campaign.

No comments: